The Institute of Anarchist Studies is excited to announce applications are now open for our 2023-24 grants program. To learn more about the grants available and apply, read on!
For nearly thirty years, the Institute for Anarchist Studies has funded creative intellectual work that furthers anarchist ideas and makes them accessible to a broad audience. We have two grants available, the Anarchist Horizons Grant; and the Jen Angel Anarchist Media Grant, in collaboration with our comrades at Agency. We are dedicated to sponsoring projects that:
- Preserve movement memory and recent history
- Develop anarchist theory, including on economics
- Build anarchist infrastructure and radical alternatives
- Uplift on-the-ground projects and models of success
- Address key anarchist concepts (for popular audiences)
- Reach children and younger people
- Imagine transformative futures
We typically award several micro-grants, prioritizing smaller proposals so that we can fund multiple projects each year. Priority is given to creators who are: BIPOC, QT and TNB, low-income, and working outside of academia.
The 2024 Anarchist Horizons Grant
The Anarchist Horizons grant program supports a variety of radical projects, including: written works, translations, artwork, performance, workshops, and events. In particular, we are looking for work that takes an intersectional anarchist approach.
The 2024 Jen Angel Anarchist Media Grant
The Jen Angel Anarchist Media Grant was founded in 2023 in memory of Jen Angel, long-time anarchist and media activist, and is awarded in collaboration with Agency. This grant specifically supports multimedia projects that help translate anarchist ideas and practices for the general public. Examples of media projects we’d like to see include:
- It Did Happen Here Podcast
- “We’re All We’ve Got, We’re All We Need” | Mutual Aid Disaster Relief
- “What is the State?” | AK Press/Agency
More information about the Jen Angel Anarchist Media Grant can be found on the Agency website.
Submissions open October 31st, 2023 and will close March 31st, 2024. Applicants will be notified of decisions on or before June 30, 2024.